On this page you will find some cubing software that I have written, as well as some guides and information related to some 2x2x2 solving methods.
- Comparison of 2x2x2 methods
- Guimond Guide & Algorithms
- SOAP Guide & Algorithms
- PBL Tips & Algorithms
- Ortega/EG first face optimal solutions
All software runs only on Windows.
Case Trainer 1.5 - Download
Gives you a scramble that will generate a last layer case. Allows you to practice both recognition and solves for last layer cases.
How to use:
- It looks for text files in the same folder as the application. The text files should contain one algorithm per line. An example file, "algs.txt" is included.
- You can have multiple text files, so for example one might contain OLLs, one with PLLs, and one with CLLs.
- The application will randomly choose an algorithm from the selected text file, and it will generate a scramble that will set up that case.
- You should perform the scramble without looking at the cube. Then look down at the cube and solve it. This helps you practice the recognition of the cases.
- There is a "Drill" function which will go through each algorithm in the selected file once. This is handy to ensure that you practice all of the cases.
LLtimer 2.2 - Download
Lets you time the execution of last layer algorithms for the 3x3x3 cube. Supports OLL, PLL, and CLL.
How to use:
- Click on a case, and its image will be displayed on the left. Under the case, an algorithm is displayed which lets you SET UP the case on your own cube.
- Press the spacebar to start the timer, and then press it again to stop.
- Finally, press the spacebar once more to accept the time. If you made a mistake, you can press the discard button instead, and the time will not be recorded.
- If you select the "random case" checkbox, it will display a random case each time.
- If you don't want certain cases to appear in the random selection, you can disable cases by right-clicking on them.
- When you close the program, your times are automatically saved and will be loaded the next time you start.
Guimond OLL Solver - Download
A solver for the orientation step of the Guimond method.
How to use:
- The application displays a view of the top layer and bottom layer (as seen from the top).
- Click on any piece to change its orientation.
- The down-left-back piece is fixed and can not be changed. In its place is a [u] button which will rotate the top layer.
- You can set the maximum number of moves that it will search for, and which face turns the solution can contain.
- Solutions will only contain R,U, and F moves.